Updated: Thursday, February 10, 2022
Until further notice, The Joyce Theater will continue to require vaccinations for our staff, audience members, and performers. Masks will continue to be required at all times for visitors inside the theater. All visitors are encouraged to consider receiving booster shots, to bolster preventative measures against new variants.
In adherence to this policy, all audience members attending any performance at The Joyce will be asked to show proof of full vaccination status (two weeks following receiving both of a two-dose vaccine or a single dose of a one-dose vaccine), and will be checked upon entering the theater on day of show, either by a front-of-house employee or security staff.
Under the new vaccine eligibility protocols, children ages 5-11 who have reached full vaccination status (two weeks following receiving a two-dose vaccine) are welcome to attend our performances.
In effect starting May 16, Children ages 2-5 must provide one of the following:
- Proof of (a) a negative COVID-19 PCR test within 72 hours of the performance time, or (b) a negative COVID-19 antigen test within 6 hours of performance time.
- Both PCR and rapid antigen tests must be performed by an official testing site.
- At home self-tests will not be accepted.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult attesting to their identity.
- Children under the age of 2 are not permitted in the theater.
- Masks are required for all guests, regardless of vaccination status.
Audience members must provide proof in one of the following forms: physical immunization card, photo of immunization card, or a digital vaccine card (e.g. regional passes such as Excelsior in NYC) as well as proof of identity (for example: driver's license, non-driver's government issued ID card, passport, school or work ID card). Acceptable proof must show receipt of full COVID-19 vaccination.
The Joyce's policies regarding masks and proof of vaccination will continue to evolve and may be relaxed or extended at a future date. We are committed to the safety of our visitors, and will continue to update our policies as necessary.
Approved COVID-19 Vaccines
In accordance with the health and safety guidelines of our local officials, The Joyce Theater will require vaccinations for our staff, audience members, and performers. In adherence to this policy, all audience members attending any performance at the Joyce will be asked to show proof of full vaccination status (two weeks following receiving both of a two-dose vaccine or a single dose of a one-dose vaccine), and will be checked upon entering the theater on day of show, either by a front-of-house employee or security staff.
The following are the World Health Organization (WHO) approved COVID-19 vaccines and dosage amounts.
- Moderna: 2 doses
- Pfizer/BioNTech: 2 doses
- Janssen (Johnson & Johnson): 1 dose
- Oxford/AstraZeneca: 2 doses
- Serum Institute of India (Covishield Oxford/AstraZeneca formulation): 2 doses
- Sinopharm (Beijing): 2 doses
- Sinovac CoronaVac: 2 doses
- Convenient hand sanitizer stations with at least 60% alcohol content will be located throughout The Joyce for use by patrons, staff, and artists.
- Visible signage is posted throughout the theater to remind personnel and patrons to adhere to social distancing rules, appropriate use of PPE, and proper hygiene, cleaning, and disinfection protocols.
- The Joyce has instituted additional cleaning and disinfection protocols for the building with special attention to high touch surfaces, high-transit locations, seating areas and surfaces, and shared objects in accordance with CDC and New York City Department of Health guidelines.
Ventilation System and Airflow
- The Joyce Theater air handlers are designed to receive MERV 13 filters, and these have been installed to meet the current recommendations for filtration. The Joyce’s air handling system supplies the required amount of outside air at regular intervals.
- The Joyce’s Facility staff change all air filters with increased frequency in accordance with ASHRAE guidelines.
- In addition, The Joyce is using newly purchased air purifiers throughout the building that have a 4-stage filter system to further clean the air. These air purifiers help to effectively remove up to 95% of bacteria and aerosolized viruses larger than 0.1 microns. Two (2) pre-filters remove particles easily seen by the naked eye (e.g. dust, hair, pet dander) as well as small to medium sized particles (e.g. molds, spores, pollen). A 3rd filter is made up of Activated Carbon, Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite. This filter removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases, and other odors. The final stage filter is a True Medical Grade HEPA filter that removes 99.97% of all particles larger than 0.3 microns, and 95% of all particles larger than 0.1 microns.
There is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any public space where people are present. While The Joyce is taking measures to minimize the risk of such exposure, we cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to COVID-19 during your time in the theater. By attending the performance, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold The Joyce, or any of its trustees, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury.