THE JOYCE THEATER FOUNDATION
STATE OF DARKNESS
By Molissa Fenley
First IN-PERSON indoor Performance to benefit The Joyce Theater
A Collection of Six Separate Live Solo Performances of Fenley's 1988 Tour-de-Force Work
JUNE 16 - JUNE 20
Following an acclaimed virtual run this fall, The Joyce Theater is delighted to bring Molissa Fenley's celebrated solo work, State of Darkness, to our Chelsea home this spring for live, socially distanced, and masked audiences.
Adapting her creative process to the emergent world of social distancing, Fenley has restaged her solo individually with six dancers; 2020 Juilliard grad Jared Brown; Lloyd Knight of Martha Graham Dance Company; Sara Mearns of New York City Ballet; Annique Roberts of Ronald K. Brown/EVIDENCE; Cassandra Trenary of American Ballet Theatre: and Michael Trusnovec of Paul Taylor Dance Company.
Then, following each performance, Fenley will join the respective artist for an in-depth Q&A about bringing this remarkable work back to the stage.
All proceeds from the limited engagement will benefit The Joyce Theater's continued re-opening efforts. Benefit tickets will begin at $250 and include a Q&A with the evening's dancer and Molissa Fenley.
Performance Run Time: Approximately 35 minutes
Q&A Run Time: Approximately 20 minutes
Wednesday, June 16
- 8pm ET – Performance of State of Darkness featuring Annique Roberts
Thursday, June 17
- 8pm ET – Performance of State of Darkness featuring Jared Brown
Friday, June 18
- 8pm ET – Performance of State of Darkness featuring Sara Mearns
Saturday, June 19
- 2pm ET – Performance of State of Darkness featuring Lloyd Knight
- 8pm ET – Performance of State of Darkness featuring Michael Trusnovec
Sunday, June 20
- 2pm ET – Performance of State of Darkness featuring Cassandra Trenary
(Note: This performance contains partial nudity)