Heath and Safety Protocols
To help ensure the health and safety of our patrons, staff, and artists during the COVID-19 pandemic, The Joyce will be implementing the following procedures:
Updated: Friday, March 3, 2023
Effective March 27, 2023, The Joyce Theater will lift its mask requirements for all visitors inside the theater. Visitors are encouraged to wear masks by choice and consider receiving booster shots to bolster preventative measures against new variants.
The Joyce's policies regarding masks will continue to evolve and may be relaxed or extended at a future date. We are committed to the safety of our visitors, and will continue to update our policies as necessary. Please revisit this page for future updates.
Updated: Monday, September 12, 2022
The Joyce Theater has lifted vaccination requirements for staff, audience members, and performers, effective immediately. Masks will continue to be required at all times for visitors inside the theater. All visitors are encouraged to consider receiving booster shots, to bolster preventative measures against new variants.
The Joyce's policies regarding masks will continue to evolve and may be relaxed or extended at a future date. We are committed to the safety of our visitors, and will continue to update our policies as necessary.
- Convenient hand sanitizer stations with at least 60% alcohol content will be located throughout The Joyce for use by patrons, staff, and artists.
- Visible signage is posted throughout the theater to remind personnel and patrons to adhere to social distancing rules, appropriate use of PPE, and proper hygiene, cleaning, and disinfection protocols.
- The Joyce has instituted additional cleaning and disinfection protocols for the building with special attention to high touch surfaces, high-transit locations, seating areas and surfaces, and shared objects in accordance with CDC and New York City Department of Health guidelines.
VENTILATION SYSTEM AND AIRFLOW
- The Joyce Theater air handlers are designed to receive MERV 13 filters, and these have been installed to meet the current recommendations for filtration. The Joyce’s air handling system supplies the required amount of outside air at regular intervals.
- The Joyce’s Facility staff change all air filters with increased frequency in accordance with ASHRAE guidelines.
- In addition, The Joyce is using newly purchased air purifiers throughout the building that have a 4-stage filter system to further clean the air. These air purifiers help to effectively remove up to 95% of bacteria and aerosolized viruses larger than 0.1 microns. Two (2) pre-filters remove particles easily seen by the naked eye (e.g. dust, hair, pet dander) as well as small to medium sized particles (e.g. molds, spores, pollen). A 3rd filter is made up of Activated Carbon, Potassium Iodide Impregnated Carbon and Zeolite. This filter removes Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs), formaldehyde, benzenes, chemicals, gases, and other odors. The final stage filter is a True Medical Grade HEPA filter that removes 99.97% of all particles larger than 0.3 microns, and 95% of all particles larger than 0.1 microns.
There is an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any public space where people are present. While The Joyce is taking measures to minimize the risk of such exposure, we cannot guarantee that you will not be exposed to COVID-19 during your time in the theater. By attending the performance, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold The Joyce, or any of its trustees, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury.
*The Joyce's Health & Safety Protocols are subject to change.